The main exploitable results achieved in this project are as follows
MACHINE SYSTEMS AND SUBSYSTEMS
The core project result is represented by Micro-FAST machine system for the production of high quality components. It is first kind of the machine developed specifically for the manufacture of miniature to micro-sized bulk components with controlled micro-structures, using a wide range of powder materials.
The innovative and fast process combining micro-forming and electrical-field activated sintering technology (Micro-FAST) and fully automated machine system are expected to generate significant impacts in the manufacturing sector and component users. To accompany this several individual ancillary sub-systems related to the press have also been developed, including that for powder feeding, robotic handling of the die-set, ejector for the formed parts, laser die-cleaning and inspection system. These will also be exploited for other applications in different industrial environments.
MATERIALS AND TOOLING
Several types of high-quality powders have also been developed that can be used in the FAST applications as well as in other powder metallurgy processes. Nanostructured metal-based and ceramic powders are produced with different techniques able to deliver controlled and homogenous chemical and structural composition and optimized flowability, leading to high quality formed parts produced. Correspondingly, advanced surface treatment and coating techniques for micro-tooling have been developed for high-temperature applications such as Micro-FAST processes, including active-screen plasma co-alloying technology enhancing oxidation and wear resistance and reducing friction coefficient of the tool surfaces.
In addition to these, first kind of multiscale modelling technique and software modules for the modelling of electrical-field activated sintering and forming have been developed, which is able to link modelling of micro-scale electro-plasticity, diffusion bonding and bulk-material deformations to predict the material behaviours during Micro-FAST.
High-quality parts produced are expected to have impacts in the field of miniaturised products/systems, both for users and manufacturers. The production of these parts through the Micro-FAST process and the machine will result in better performances, more economical gains and enhanced industrial competitiveness, compared to the current solutions.
|Total budget - Public funding:||7 512 973,00 Euro - 5 349 843,00 Euro|
|Call topic:||Manufacturing of highly miniaturised components (FoF.NMP.2013-11)|
Material related knowledge based system
- Micro-FAST prototype machine ...
- Nanostructured powders by mechanical alloying...
- Micro-sized powders by hydrochemical synthesi...
- Powder materials prepared by advanced granula...
- Multiscale modelling methods and the software...
- | MBN NANOMATERIALIA SPA (Coördinator)
- | AFT Automation & Feinwerktechnik
- | ASOCIACION DE LA INDUSTRIA NAVARRA
- | BPE INTERNATIONAL DR HORNIG GMBH
- | Cedrat Technologies SA
- | DIAD GROUP SRL
- | ETA SA MANUFACTURE HORLOGERE SUISSE AG
- | FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT
- | IMPERIAL COLLEGE OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND MEDICINE
- | INSTITUTTET FOR PRODUKTUDVIKLING - IPU
- | Institutul National de Cercetare - Dezvoltare Pentru metale Neferoase si Rare - IMNR
- | MATRES SRL
- | PASCOE ENGINEERING LIMITED
- | THE UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM
- | UNIVERSITY OF STRATHCLYDE