Harris RCS is a successful family-run aerospace business. With growth in their sector and customers demanding excellence, considerable pressure was placed on their delivery performance. With the MTC’s support, Harris RCS identified scheduling as the root-cause of wasted time and failed deliveries. Understanding that SME resources are limited, the MTC assisted Harris RCS with utilising existing resources and IT infrastructure to improve scheduling and planning.
The MTC constructed a shared vision of a visual workplace, where the schedule was planned and communicated to the shop-floor via large plasma screens. User-specific dashboards were installed on the shop-floor displaying daily plans, performance and business intelligence in real time. The order status is communicated in a visual colour-coded system. The data is generated automatically, communicating accurate and reliable delivery dates to their customers.
- Data has been transformed into an understandable format, assisting staff in good decision making
- The innovation has gone beyond supporting the scheduling process. The team are using the digital information to validate costs, pricing and identify opportunities for improvements. They are now able to verify the true impact of new investments
- The project has brought a new energy to the factory and employees are bringing ideas to the management team for further optimisation
Benefits to the Client
- Achieved a 20% increase in productivity
- Improvement of On Time In Full (OTIF) to 98.3%
- Received a performance award in November 2017 from their customer, Pattonair
- Up-skilled staff
This items serves as a filter in support of selecting the case and demonstrators associated to the Digital Transformation Pathway Cases Catalogue (see ConnectedFactories Coordination and Support Action - Information sharing and analysis)