The young optoelectronic industry has critical mass and already impacts for more than the 10% on the European economy, employing 290 000 people and guarantees a stable double digit growth in current and coming years. Europe is playing a leading role in R&D (>1,000 research organization active) and is still able to face Far East and American competitors in manufacturing. white’R is a necessary action to translate this R&D excellence into future leadership in manufacturing high value added optoelectronic devices.
white’R production island aims to make a move away from the manual assembly processes that have characterized the industry for decades to high-accuracy, high-yield, automated methods.
The new manufacturing concept is based on the combination of fully automated, self contained, “white room” modules whose components - robots, end effectors, transport, handling and tooling systems - are conceived as “Plug&Produce” mechatronic sub-modules properly configured coherently with the production requirements.
The technical objectives of white’R system are:
- 50% reduction of cost compared to current productions system;
- 30% set-up and ramp-up time reduction by self adaptive reconfigurability;
- All components of the production system reusable re-assembled and upgraded in a new different system;
- Creation of a EU/International standard for optoelectronic package configuration.
The achievement of the objectives are demonstrated by 2 different demonstrators where the same white’R island is reconfigured to be used in two different real industrial environments related to the laser processing and the solar energy systems.
White’R team, coordinated by PRIMA INDUSTRIE, forms a lean and efficient organization linking together 3 academic and research institutions to 10 industrial partners from 5 different countries, including both system development companies and industrial end users.
|Number of participants:||13|
|Total budget - Public funding:||9 647 713,00 Euro - 6 399 549,00 Euro|
|Call topic:||Innovative re-use of modular equipment based on integrated factory design (FoF.NMP.2013-2)|
|Instrument:||DEMO-targeted collaborative project|
- | Synesis
- | Prima Industrie SpA
- | Politecnico di Milano
- | LMS - University of Patras
- | FRAMOS GMBH
- | SYSTHMATA YPOLOGISTIKIS ORASHS IRIDA LABS AE
- | ANTOPTIMA SA
- | GLOBOTICS INDUSTRIES SA
- | SOLAR CAPTURE TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
- | PRIMA ELECTRO SPA
- | IRIS SRL
- | OPI PHOTONICS SRL
- | University of applied sciences and arts of southern switzerland (SUPSI)