Global trends force industry to manufacture lighter, safer, more environmentally-friendly, more performant, and cheaper products. Due to its excellent thermal and electrical conductivity, copper is widely used in heating and cooling equipment and electrical devices. The rising demand caused the copper price to increase significantly.
Solving the conflict between the technological benefits arising from the excellent properties of copper and the disadvantages regarding cost and weight is possible by substituting current full copper parts by copper-aluminium hybrid parts.
Within JOIN’EM, such components will be produced by electromagnetic pulse welding (EMW). EMW is a high-speed joining technology using pulsed magnetic fields. The joint is formed without heat, but due to the impact of the joining partners. Disadvantages associated with conventional technologies are avoided and high-quality dissimilar material combinations can be joint.
In JOIN’EM, strategies for the process and tool design shall be developed for joining copper-aluminium connections and for 2 other specific material combinations. Profile-shaped components as well as sheet metal applications will be regarded. For joint optimisation, surface preparation, design of the joint geometry, and other aspects will be investigated.
A multi scale simulation strategy will be developed for determination of acting loads, deformation, impacting conditions, joint formation, and load capacity of the joint. Designing durable and efficient tools is an indispensable prerequisite for the industrial implementation of the technology and will be addressed in the project.
The applicability of the process design strategy shall be validated based on industrial applications. Process and equipment design strategies will be evaluated in an industrial setting. This includes automation and quality control, economic efficiency calculations, life-cycle, and recycling issues, to demonstrate and quantify the advantages of EMW.
|Number of participants:||15|
|Total budget - EC contribution:||4715913 Euro - 4127029 Euro|
|Call topic:||Industrial technologies for advanced joining and assembly processes of multi-materials (FoF.NMPB.2015.12)|
|Instrument:||Collaborative project (generic)|
Significant innovations, use case requirements and lessons learned - (No information available)
Added value and impact - (No information available)
Technologies and enablers - (No information available)
Digitalisation pathways - (No information available)
ICT performance characteristics - (No information available)
Standards, standardisation and regulation - (No information available)
Business model aspects - (No information available)
- Incremental magnetic pulse welding of dissimi...
- Manufacturing of hybrid aluminum copper joint...
- Process analysis for magnetic pulse welding o...
- Prozessanalyse für das Magnetimpulsschweiße...
- Effect of the Welding Parameters on the Struc...
- Magnetic pulse welding facilitates the produc...
- Thermo-mechanical simulation of a magnetic pu...
- Project specific website
- Standardisation recommendation document
- Synthesis report regarding the corrosion anal...
- Report with specifications of the joint chara...
- Report on technological feasibility of EMW fo...
- Realisation of the joined parts
- Contact-free shaping, joining and cutting at ...
- Electromagnetic pulse technology: Joining
- ASSOCIATION POUR LA RECHERCHE ET LE DEVELOPPE...
- Fraunhofer IWU
- ALKE SRL
- Research Center for Non Destructive Testing G...
- Whirlpool Europe srl
- BELGISCH INSTITUUT VOOR LASTECHNIEKVZW INSTIT...
- Vertech Group
- European Federation for Welding, Joining & Cu...
- CEGASA PORTABLE ENERGY SLU
- REFCO NV
- INSTITUT CATHOLIQUE D ARTS ET METIERS
- LYCEE GENERAL ET TECHNOLOGIQUE CONDORCET
- PHI-MECA ENGINEERING