The ENCOMPASS project principally aims to create a fully digital integrated design decision support (IDDS) system to cover the whole manufacturing chain for a laser powder bed fusion (L-PBF) process encompassing all individual processes within in. The ENCOMPASS concept takes a comprehensive view of the L-PBF process chain through synergising and optimising the key stages. The integration at digital level enables numerous synergies between the steps in the process chain and in addition, the steps themselves are being optimised to improve the capability and efficiency of the overall manufacturing chain.
ENCOMPASS addresses the three key steps in the process chain: component design, build process, and post-build process steps (post-processing and inspection).
The links between these stages are being addressed by the following five interrelations:
- Between the design process and both the build and post-build processes in terms of manufacturing constraints / considerations to optimise overall component design
- Between the design process and build process component-specific L-PBF scanning strategies and parameters to optimise processing and reduce downstream processing
- Between the design process and the build and post-build processes in terms of adding targeted feature quality tracking to the continuous quality monitoring throughout the process chain
- Between the build and post-build processes by using build specific processing strategies and adaptation based on actual quality monitoring data (for inspection and post-processing)
- Between all stages and the data management system with the integrated design decision support (IDDS) system By considering the entire AM process chain, rather than the AM machine in isolation, ENCOMPASS will integrate process decision making tools and produce substantial increases in AM productivity, with clear reductions in change over times and re-design, along with increased
Significant innovations, use case requirements and lessons learned - (No information available)
Added value and impact - (5) view
Technologies and enablers - (20) view
Digitalisation pathways - (No information available)
ICT performance characteristics - (No information available)
Standards, standardisation and regulation - (1) view
Business model aspects - (2) view
- No published items
- Centro Ricerche Fiat SCPA (CRF)
- ROLLS-ROYCE PLC
- RENISHAW PLC
- The Manufacturing Technology Centre (MTC) Ltd
- FRAUNHOFER-GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER AN...
- European Federation for Welding, Joining & Cu...
- INDUSTRIA DE TURBO PROPULSORES S.A.
- ALTAIR ENGINEERING LIMITED
- ESI SOFTWARE GERMANY GMBH
- DEPUY (IRELAND) UNLIMITED
- THE UNIVERSITY OF LIVERPOOL