The vision of RECLAIM is to demonstrate technologies and strategies to support a new paradigm for refurbishment and re-manufacturing of large industrial equipment in factories, paving the way to a circular economy. Its ultimate goal is to save valuable resources by reusing equipment instead of discarding them.
RECLAIM will support legacy industrial infrastructures with advanced technological solutions with built-in capabilities for in-situ repair, self-assessment and optimal re-use strategies. It will establish new concepts and strategies for repair and equipment upgrade and factory layouts' redesign in order to gain economic benefits to the manufacturing sector, with demonstration in friction welding (Harms und Wende, Germany), enamelling and robotics for white goods (Gorenje, Slovenia and Czech Republic), wood working (Podium, Switzerland), shoe making (Fluchos, Spain) and bleaching of textiles (Zorluteks, Turkey).
The technological core of RECLAIM is a novel Decision Support Framework that guides the optimal refurbishment and re-manufacturing of electromechanical machines and robotics systems. The framework uses IoT sensors, novel prediction, and process optimisation techniques to offer machine lifetime extension and thus increased productivity. Innovative fog computing and augmented reality techniques are combined with enhanced health monitoring and failure inspection and diagnosis methodologies that enhance the effective use of materials, improve maintenance capabilities and eventually, drastically increase the return of investments (ROI).
RECLAIM re-use approach also fosters servicing and upgrading of legacy equipment. For that, European machinery industry will move from an equipment-based business to a value-added business, where equipment servicing and equipment knowledge are main business drivers.
RECLAIM solution will be demonstrated in five real industrial environments to evaluate the lifecycle of the industrial equipment and show the feasibility of the approach for integration and scale-up to other industrial sectors. Having RECLAIM technology available, drastically increased efficiency, lifetime extension and high economic benefit will be achieved and a significant step towards 100% re-use will be made.
|Total budget - Public funding:||15 725 187,00 Euro - 12 750 199,00 Euro|
|Call topic:||Refurbishment and re-manufacturing of large industrial equipment (IA) (DT-FOF-06-2019)|
26/04/21 - 13:50
Publication “RECLAIM: Toward a New Era of Refurbishment and Remanufacturing of Industrial Equipment”
RECLAIM presents a new idea on refurbishment and remanufacturing based on big data analytics, machine learning, predictive analytics, and optimisation models using deep learning techniques and digital twin models with the aim of enabling the stakeholders to make informed decisions about whether to remanufacture, upgrade, or repair heavy machinery that is toward its end-of-life.
This publication in the Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence shows how the integration of RECLAIM technological solutions into industrial environments can lead to industries having an extra economic income from the extended lifetime of manufacturing systems and their components, which can be achieved by adopting refurbishment and remanufacturing solutions.
07/04/21 - 07:12
Call for Papers (ETFA 2021): Refurbishment and re-manufacturing of machinery in CPPSs
The RECLAIM special session at ETFA, the 26th International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (7-10 September 2021 in Sweden) provides researchers and practitioners from the industry with a platform to report on recent advances and developments as technological enablers supporting value retention throughout the industrial equipment lifecycle.
- Submission deadline: (regular papers) extended to 7 May! | (Work-in-progress/Industry practice papers) 13 May
- Acceptance notification: June 10
- Deadline for final manuscripts: June 17
Topics include (but not limited to):
- Big data analytics, predictive analytics, and optimisation models using deep learning techniques, and digital twin models.
- Models for informed decision about whether refurbish, remanufacture, upgrade, or repair machinery that is towards its end-of-life.
- Technologies and strategies to support a new paradigm for refurbishment and remanufacturing of industrial equipment in factories.
- New concepts and strategies for repair and equipment upgrade and factory layouts’ redesign.
- Optimal refurbishment and re-manufacturing of electromechanical machines and robotics systems.
- IoT sensors, novel prediction, and process optimisation techniques to offer machine lifetime extension.
- Innovative fog computing and augmented reality techniques combined with enhanced health monitoring and failure inspection and diagnosis.
- Approaches for the servicing and upgrading of legacy equipment evaluation and demonstration of approaches in real industrial environments.
About the EU project RECLAIM (H2020): RE-manufaCturing and Refurbishment LArge Industrial equipment: Manufacturing is a pillar of innovation and growth for Europe, but outdated machinery and unplanned downtime can cause significant losses for companies and employees. RECLAIM provides techniques, strategies, and decision-making tools to reduce machine obsolescence, improve predictive maintenance and upgrade legacy machines. The project partners will demonstrate the advantages of high-tech refurbishment and reuse of large production equipment and lines in 5 industrial sites across sectors – welding, woodwork, textiles, robotics/white goods and footwear, and initiate replication in further sectors. Don't hesitate to get in touch!
Go to project forum
- Video: Remanufacturing & Refurbishment of Lar...
- Standardisation Toolkit for Remanufacturing &...
- Next Generation IoT and Digital Twin Based Fa...
- Circular Economy Strategies for Equipment Lif...
- New Era of Refurbishment and Remanufacturing ...
- | HARMS & WENDE GMBH & CO KG (Coördinator)
- | ADVANTIC SISTEMAS Y SERVICIOS
- | ASTON UNIVERSITY (ASTON U)
- | CENTRE FOR RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY HELLAS CERTH
- | ENTE NAZIONALE ITALIANO DI UNIFICAZIONE-UNI (UNI)
- | EUROPEAN SCIENCE COMMUNICATION INSTITUTE (ESCI) GGMBH
- | FIERCELY LDA (Fiercely)
- | FLUCHOS SL (Fluchos)
- | FONDAZIONE LINKS - LEADING INNOVATION & KNOWLEDGE FOR SOCIETY (LINKS)
- | FUTURE INTELLIGENCE EREVNA TILEPIKINONIAKON KE PLIROFORIAKON SYSTIMATON EPE (FINT)
- | Fundacion Tecnalia Research Corporation
- | GORENJE GOSPODINJSKI APARATI DOO (GORENJE)
- | INFORMATION CATALYST FOR ENTERPRISE LTD
- | PODIUM INDUSTRIES SA (PODIUM)
- | ROBOTEH AVTOMATIZACIJA INROBOTIZACIJA D.O.O. (ROBOTEH d.o.o.)