Borealis project aims to develop a completely new concept of additive manufacturing machine: the solution is conceived as integration of a new architecture, a new manufacturing processes, a specific monitoring control infrastructure. Borealis project presents an advanced concept of machine for powder deposition and ablation processes that integrates 5 AM technologies in a unique solution. The system is specifically conceived for industrial sectors that suffer extremely high manufacturing costs because of part complexity and low volumes and the prohibitive cost of raw material. As a result, Borealis focuses on the Medtech, Aerospace and Automotive sectrors as major target. More over, the challenge of Borealis is to allow the production of big metal components using the AM process and trough a novel AM machine able to produce large and complex parts with unprecedented throughput and efficiancy, in true net shape, with closed loop controlled and certified quality. Borealis idea results from a consortium composed by the excellence of developers of worldwide recognized laser machines and advanced material processing together with the highly precision and flexible mechatronic designers. These two big clusters decided to join their expertise and focus on new manufacturing challenges coming from complex product machining in the field of aerospace, medtech and automotive represented by major partners in the market. Borealis project targets a TRL 6 and provide as outcome of three years work two complete Borealis machine in two dimensions, a lab scale machine and a full size machine, which are foreseen to be translated into industrial solution by 2019.
|Number of participants:||16|
|Total budget - Public funding:||7 986 625,00 Euro - 5 968 875,00 Euro|
|Call topic:||Manufacturing processes for complex structures and geometries with efficient use of material (FoF.NMPB.2014.2)|
|Instrument:||DEMO-targeted collaborative project|
BOREALIS Machine : a new conceptComment:
BOREALIS was born from the needs of those users that have started using additive manufacturing for small volumes production.
The main needs Borealis answers are : Big dimensions of the component to be produced, High deposition rate, Efficiency of the production
- BOREALIS Machine : a new concept
- BOREALIS Configurable AM head and Multi nozzl...
- BOREALIS Vision system and process control
- BOREALIS optical chain
- BOREALIS CNC and CAx chain
- A success story : Much more than technology
- Final Report on Dissemination, Industrial pro...
- "Round Robin Part Family description #2"
- "progress overview report #2"
- Information Representation Model
- Definition of reference medtech, aerospace an...
- "Progress overview report #3"
- Scientific Dissemination and Industrial Promo...
- "Round Robin Part Family description #1"
- Periodic Reporting for period 2 - BOREALIS (B...
- | Prima Industrie SpA (Coördinator)
- | LMS - University of Patras
- | Politecnico di Torino
- | TNO - Nederlandse Organisatie voor Toegepast Natuurwetenschappelijk Onderzoek
- | FRAMOS GMBH
- | SYSTHMATA YPOLOGISTIKIS ORASHS IRIDA LABS AE
- | GLOBOTICS INDUSTRIES SA
- | PRIMA ELECTRO SPA
- | IRIS SRL
- | OPI PHOTONICS SRL
- | University of applied sciences and arts of southern switzerland (SUPSI)
- | Fraunhofer
- | DIAD GROUP ES SL
- | GE AVIO SRL
- | SINTEA SMART SAGL