The productivity of the serial production model is compromised by the need to perform changes in the production equipment that cannot support multiple operations in dynamic environments. Low cost labour is no longer an option for EU manufacturers due to the fast rise of wages and the increasing costs of energy and logistics. Manual tasks cannot be fully automated with a good ratio of cost vs robustness using standard robots due to: high product variability, dedicated process equipment and high cost of maintenance by expert users. The answer to this challenge lays in the creation of production concepts that base their operation on the autonomy and collaboration between production resources.
The vision of THOMAS is: "to create a dynamically reconfigurable shopfloor utilizing autonomous, mobile dual arm robots that are able to perceive their environment and through reasoning, cooperate with each other and with other production resources including human operators".
The objective of THOMAS are to:
- Enable mobility on products and resources. Introducing mobile robots able to navigate in the shopfloor and utilize dexterous tooling to perform multiple operations.
- Enabling perception of the task and the environment using a) the individual resource’s and b) collaborative perception by combining sensors of multiple resources
- Dynamic balancing of workload. Allowing the resources to communicate over a common network and automatically adjust their behaviour by sharing or reallocating tasks dynamically.
- Fast programming and automatic execution of new tasks by a) automatically generating the robot program for new products and b) applying skills over the perceived environment to determine required adaptations
- Safe human robot collaboration, eliminating physical barriers, by introducing cognitive abilities that allow the detection of humans and their intentions
THOMAS will demonstrate and validate its developments in the automotive and the aeronautics industrial sectors.
|Number of participants:||8|
|Total budget - EC contribution:||5624225 Euro - 4510700 Euro|
|Call topic:||Machinery and robot systems in dynamic shop floor environments using novel embedded cognitive functions (FoF.2016.02)|
|Instrument:||Collaborative project (generic)|
Impact (Performance - People - Planet - Future Products) - (14) view
Technologies and enablers - (18) view
Digitalisation pathways - (1) view
Use Case Requirements and Lessons Learned - (No information available)
ICT performance characteristics - (9) view
Standards, standardisation and regulation - (No information available)
Business model aspects - (2) view
Diverse - (2) view
- Mobile Dual Arm Manipulator for Flexible oper...
- System for enabling docking and collaborative...
- Generic Perception platform providing Applica...
- Mobile platform navigation software library, ...
- Fenceless environment monitoring and robot co...
- Human Robot Interaction Suite for Collaborati...
- Decision making module for dynamic work re-or...
- Digital world model for Human Robot Collabora...
- Automatic programming software library provid...
- THOMAS Network of Resources and Station Contr...
- Pilot cell for aeronautics assembly
- Pilot cell for automotive moving line final a...