SYMBIO-TIC | Symbiotic Human-Robot Collaborative Assembly: Technologies, Innovations and Competitiveness
Showing 1 to 30 of 45 entries
The COROMA modular platform is an innovative approach that has developed seven fuctional modules to improve the performance of already existing robotic systems:
In order for CoLLaboratE to successfully realize its vision several prerequisites are set in the form of major Scientific and Technological Objectives throughout the project duration. These are summarized in the following points:
Objective 1: To equip the robotic agents with basic collaboration skills easily adaptable to specific tasks
Objective 2: To develop a framework that enables non-experts teaching human-robot collaborative tasks from demonstration
Objective 3: The development of technologies that will enable autonomous assembly policy learning and policy improvement
Objective 4: To develop advanced safety strategies allowing effective human robot cooperation with no barriers and ergonomic performance monitoring
Objective 5: To develop techniques for controlling the production line while making optimal use of the resources by generating efficient production plans, employing reconfigurable hardware design, and utilising AGV’s with increased autonomy
Objective 6: To investigate the impact of Human-Robot Collaboration to the workers’ job satisfaction, as well as test easily applicable interventions in order to increase trust, satisfaction and performance
Objective 7: To validate CoLLaboratE system’s ability to facilitate genuine collaboration between robots and humans
The CoLLaboratE project will have profound impact on strengthening the competitiveness and growth of companies in the manufacturing sector:
- CoLLaboratE will develop a co-production cell for manufacturing production lines, capable to perform assembly operations through human-robot collaboration. This cell will be the result of inter-disciplinary technological advances that will be realized during the project, in a series of highly significant areas related to robotics and artificial intelligence. By the end of the project, the proposed system will be demonstrated and evaluated at TRL6, being ready for commercial take-up, allowing this assembled knowledge to be in turn, rapidly integrated in real production lines of industries and SMEs.
- CoLLaboratE will develop technologies for autonomous and collaborative assembly learning and teaching methods by non-experts so that no explicit robot programming will be required. As the products of industries, such as LCD TV’s rapidly evolve, flexibility so as to easily adapt in a new assembly task regarding a new product, is a major quality sought for modern assembly lines. Robots that need several months to be programmed and start working on the task are a rather unrealistic solution. Given the (a) time-consuming programming process typically required for industrial robots and (b) difficulties posed to robots from uncertainties in small parts assembly, cheap labour hands of low cost countries (LCCs) have so far been typically utilized instead of robotic solutions, through LCC assembly outsourcing strategies.
- CoLLaboratE service portfolio will include a set of innovative fast and flexible manufacturing techniques, combining the benefits of the reconfigurable hardware design and modern ICT technologies (e.g. AΙ, learning toolkit, digitization of assembling processes)
- CoLLaboratE will introduce novel AGVs on shop floors with enhanced capabilities, that apart from motion planning and obstacle detection, they will also be capable of detecting the intentions of human users in the factory in order to provide flexibility and facilitate the production process, along with optimal use of resources.
- CoLLaboratE will reduce delivery times and costs, whereas robot assembly techniques will also allow a much greater degree of customization and product variability. As it is highlighted in the euRobotics AISBL Strategic Research Agenda, the use of robotics in production is a key factor in making manufacturing within Europe economically viable; locating manufacturing in Europe through robotic solutions that will suppress LCC outsourcing is a major goal for the near future. Through flexible assembly lines, the manufacturing companies will be offered with great leverage over their innovation capacity and integration of new knowledge into their products.
- CoLLaboratE will pave the way for a new era in industrial assembly lines, where robots will present genuine collaboration with the human workers and will allow manufacturing industries to establish in-house robotic-based assembly lines, capable to rapidly adapt in continuously evolving products. Through its advances, SMEs holding robotic-based assembly lines, will benefit by acting as subcontractors for large industries, since they will be a viable alternative to LCC outsourcing.
It becomes clear that the CoLLaboratE project has profound potential to strengthen the competitiveness and growth of companies and bring back production to Europe, by implementing novel artificial intelligence technologies and integrating robots with collaborative skills in the production, meeting a specific, highly important need of European, as well as worldwide manufacturing industries toward their future growth and sustainability.
ROSSINI will develop and demonstrate technologies enabling a significant advancement in HRC. They are:
These technologies will be then integrated into the ROSSINI Platform architecture.
Expected achievements: 15% increase in OECD Job Quality Index through work environment and safety improvement; 20% reduction in production reconfiguration time and cost; reduction of heavy works impacts and costs: increase in the overall job satisfaction and job attractiveness; increased value-chain integration and stakeholder satisfaction
Optimizing design and production of electric devicesComment:
The realized progress advances the state of the art in several aspects:
Cloud-based modelling for improving resin infusion processComment:
CETMA was able to exploit the possibilities that customized simulation offers to SME’s specialized in boat hulls manufacturing. Thanks to cloud resources, enough power computing is available to analyze different scenarios in a few days instead of several weeks.
Designers of CATMARINE and SKA are now able to achieve high-quality products by analyzing different manufacturing scenarios without wasting time, money and material. The platform is able to optimize the resin injections points/vents and verify the presence of defects in the final product, thus ensuring a complete and correct mold-filling.
Numerical modelling and simulation of heat treating processesComment:
Tools developed and deployed on CloudiFacturing platform during this experiment allow end-users who operate water quenches to derive operational conditions of the water quench and thus, increase precision and repeatability of the process and decrease its dependence on the experience of the operator. The outcomes of the experiment also bring new knowledge to the whole process. Additionally, the developed technologies allow using numerical modeling and simulation in the design of a new generation of water quenches and their components.
UPTIME will develop a versatile and interoperable unified predictive maintenance platform for industrial & manufacturing assets from sensor data collection to optimal maintenance action implementation. Through advanced prognostic algorithms, it predicts upcoming failures or losses in productivity. Then, decision algorithms recommend the best action to be performed at the best time to optimize total maintenance and production costs and improve OEE.
UPTIME innovation is built upon the predictive maintenance concept and the technological pillars (i.e. Industry 4.0, IoT and Big Data, Proactive Computing) in order to result in a unified information system for predictive maintenance. UPTIME open, modular and end-to-end architecture aims to enable the predictive maintenance implementation in manufacturing firms with the aim to maximize the expected utility and to exploit the full potential of predictive maintenance management, sensor-generated big data processing, e-maintenance, proactive computing and industrial data analytics. UPTIME solution can be applied in the context of the production process of any manufacturing company regardless of their processes, products and physical models used.
Key components of UPTIME Platform include:
PROGRAMS aims at developing a HW/SW suite of solutions capable of:
Twenty-six results were identified in total and their beneficiaries hold exclusively the ownership rights, with the exemption of a single shared result. All these results add up to the integrated Z-Fact0r solution which demonstrates certain innovative and unique features. As a matter of fact, Z-Fact0r is a holistic & innovative ZDM solution which increases overall quality & customer satisfaction by reducing production costs, energy & material consumption, while utilizing almost all the state-of-the art techniques for implementing ZDM. Zero-Defect Manufacturing is currently the new trend in multi-line manufacturing, and therefore companies offering solutions similar to the Z-Fact0r emerge. However, at the moment, there are very few (if any) platforms -such as the Z-Fact0r- available in the market, offering such integrated quality control for the industry.
The project developed a zero-defects manufacturing process for large composite parts. Various monitoring systems analyse key steps in the process (lay up, infusion, curing) to provide immediate feedback to the process. Efficiency increases of 30% have been realized.
FAR-EDGE demostrates the feasibility and business value of Edge Computing (EC) applied to manufacturing, using Distributing Ledger Technology (DLT) as the key enabler. DLT allows several autonomous local processes to cooperate as peers in the scope of the same global process, the required state synchronization and common business loging being implemented by Smart Contracts. This approach, if applied correctly, results in totally decentralized and fail-safe CPS that are still easily monitored, controlled and managed centrally.
HORSE initiated the transformation of technology labs into Competence Centres closer to industry and the regional ecosystem. HORSE also launched the concept of 'Competence Centre Networking', where not only expertise was shared, but the experience of existing Technology Labs/Competence Centres was used for the establishment of new ones. As such, HORSE is the predecessor of the DIH concept, and was actually involved in the mentoring program of new DIHs, assisting in the establishment of even more such Innovation Hubs. Regarding the technologies developed, HORSE designed a reference Industry 4.0 architecture, which is applicable in manufacturing environments and taking into account all the different resources (humans, robots, machinery, sensors, etc.) that are present in a production shop floor.
The data-driven digital twin in production line is a solution to measure, analyze and react oriented to zero defect manufacturing and to the maximization of the OEE improving the sustainability and profit of factory of future.
The application of Smart Prod ACTIVE system has been demonstrated and validated at foundry level. In the frame of HPDC production process, Operator and Process manager take advantage by adopting a centralized remote control system supporting process monitoring and quality prediction in real time. The decision is supported by cause-effect correlations, and proper reactions suggested by a continuously updated meta-model. Re-usability and flexibility of the Smart Prod ACTIVE system also allow agile re-start in case of small batches production